Monday, April 19, 2010

New Blog!

I've had blogs in various forms in the past and decided it was time to start up again. This first post will be a kind of 'about me'. I am a huge fan of the Colorado Avalanche hockey team. I have been a fan since the team moved to Denver back in 1995. One day I was channel surfing and came across an early Avs game and never made it any further. I was instantly hooked and went along for the ride as they won the ultimate prize, the Stanley Cup in their first year in Denver.

Initially, I was too young and my parents were not terribly interested in hockey, so I just watched the games on TV. It was quite rare for me to miss a game, although back in those days not every single game was televised, a handful were only available on the radio. It didn't matter to me, as long as I was able to follow along with every game. When I was old enough to get a job and save up some money, I bought myself tickets to my first ever game. The Avs played the Calgary Flames that night and the game ended in a 2-2. It might have been disappointing to have the first game I ever went to end in a tie, but I was too thrilled at getting my favorite NHL team live to care.

Now over the years I have attended numerous games, some wins, some losses and some important moments in team history. When they clinched their historic 9th straight division title, I was at the game. When Patrick Roy played his last regular season game (though we didn't know it at the time) I was there. I also was at Joe Sakic's 1000th NHL game, my little sister's first hockey game experience. Earlier this year, I was there as Joe Sakic's number 19 was raised to the rafters.

The team has had their ups and downs over the years, but my love for them has never wavered. Oh sure, I have been frustrated with the team at times and last season was quite disappointing, but it ended up getting us some great draft picks and surprising success this year. It has been a fun ride these past 15 years as an Avs fan and this year's playoffs are definitely the most exciting in quite a while.

I won't give any guarantees as to how regularly I will be able to post, but I hope to have fun with two of my favorite passions: hockey and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment